1. You will demonstrate critical thinking skills by giving presentations and writing paragraphs and essays in the target language that demonstrate such thinking (analysis, synthesis, application, and evaluation).
2.You will take an active role in your own learning and will demonstrate how you learned assigned materials by explaining the process.
3.You will demonstrate appropriate principles of digital citizenship by creating technology projects to share, give feedback, and communicating with peers.
I am really excited about beginning my second year at Victory Early College and looking forward to working with all my Vikings! AP Language Course 2014-2015 BOOKS and RESOURCES: TEMAS from Vista Higher Learning ABRIENDO PASO Lectura and Gramática. Various web sites related to different themes.
EVALUATION: TESTS AND PROJECTS 60% DAILY WORK, ORAL PRESENTATIONS 40%
AP Courses are college level rigorous courses that will save you money and time when you attend college. Instead of paying a large amount of money for a college Spanish course, you can prepare yourself for this test and skip this expense and save time. The AP test scores go from 1 – 5 being 5 the highest score. Universities and colleges will accept a score of 3 or above depending on their policies.
YOU NEED TO BE AWARE THAT:
1. You will not be penalized if you choose not to take the AP test in May.
2. You will have to take a teacher-made midterm and final exam, worth 20% of your course grade, regardless of whether you take the AP exam or not.
3. You will be required to pay for the AP exam.
4. You will be expected to take an active role towards your own learning. This is a rigorous course that will prepare you to take the AP Exam in May.
ABOUT THE AP TEST:
The AP Test will have six parts. 50% of your test will consists of parts 1-5 and the remaining 50% will consist of your written essay. These are the 6 parts:
1. Spoken Interpersonal Communication- The student engages in spoken interpersonal communications.
2. Written Interpersonal Communication- The student engages in written interpersonal communications.
3. Interpretive Communication-The student synthesizes information from a variety of authentic audio, visual, and audiovisual resources.
4. Written and Print Interpretive Communication-The student synthesizes information from a variety of authentic written and print resources.
5. Presentational Communication- The student plans, produces, and presents spoken presentational communications
6. Written Presentational Communication-The student plans and produces written presentational communication. Demonstrate an understanding of the culture(s), incorporate interdisciplinary topics (Connections), make comparisons between the native language and the target language and between cultures (Comparisons), and use the target language in real-life settings (Communities).
COURSE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
The successful AP Spanish Language student will be able to: 1. Identify and summarize the main points and significant details and make appropriate inferences and predictions from a spoken source, such as a broadcast news report or a lecture on an academic or cultural topic related to the Spanish-speaking world.
2. Identify and summarize main points and important details and make appropriate inferences and predictions from a written text such as a newspaper or magazine article or contemporary literary excerpt.
3. Write a cohesive and coherent analytic or persuasive essay in reaction to a text or on a personal, academic, cultural or social issue, with control of grammar and syntax.
4. Describe, narrate, and present information on persuasive arguments on general topics with grammatical control and good pronunciation in an oral presentation of two or three minutes.
5. Use information from sources provided to present a synthesis and express an opinion.
6. Recognize cultural elements implicit in oral and written texts.
7. Interpret linguistic cues to infer social relationships.
8. Initiate, maintain, and close a conversation on a familiar topic.
9. Formulate questions to seek clarification or additional information.
10. Use language that is semantically and grammatically accurate according to a given context
YOU WILL GAIN PROFICIENCY BY DOING
Daily oral activities to build smoother, more spontaneous writing proficiency Daily reading
Daily listening Daily speaking/communication with the teacher and fellow students in Spanish
It is expected that you attend class EVERYDAY. Attendance will be taken EVERYDAY and all school attendance policies will be adhered to. Excessive absences WILL negatively affect your performance, grade and comprehension of information provided.
MAKE UP WORK
Make-up homework and class work will be expected from each student within five school days from the absence.
You are responsible for getting the work ahead of time (or upon your return) and must have the work ready to turn in within the allotted time frame (5 class meetings from the date of your return).
EXPECTATIONS, RULES AND PROCEDURES.
1. Arrive to class BEFORE the TARDY BELL rings EVERYDAY!
2. Express yourself in Spanish throughout the course on a daily basis.
3. READ, THINK, and WRITE extensively in Spanish.
4. Read short stories, news articles, and other works in Spanish.
5. Become proficient in the four language skills tested on the AP Exam: LISTENING COMPREHENSION, SPEAKING, READING, and WRITING.
6. Become familiar with different Spanish /Latin American customs and traditions.
7. Become proficient in using the language to deal with everyday situations.
8. BE SEATED WITH ALL OF YOUR MATERIALS AND BEGIN WORKING AS SOON AS YOU ENTER the CLASSROOM.
9. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS at all times!!!
10. INTEGRATE TECHNOLOGY to create and present projects. You will be given many opportunities to work on projects.
11. Use appropriate voice level to work: 1. Whisper, 2. One- one dialogue and 3. Speak up to address the class.
12. Work towards improving your Spanish. PEER UP with a NATIVE SPEAKER to help you. Your peer will also be your RESOURCE to help you become proficient. So make friends with native speakers and practice outside school every day!